Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
Learn to create custom sewing patterns from a sloper (also known as a pattern block). Taught by professional patternmakers, in our Patternmaking Intensive: Create Original Styles Using Pattern Blocks students learn different flat patternmaking and dart manipulation techniques to create style variations on slopers. Students also learn how to develop linings and facings. In this patternmaking class, students gain confidence to experiment with their own sloper manipulations. Students can also use the skills learned in this class on their tried-and-true sewing patterns. This class is perfect for those who want to learn how to use a sloper and flat patternmaking techniques to create unique and original sewing patterns.
We provide sloper blocks for students who do not have their own. If you’d like to learn how to create a sloper to your body measurements, check out Patternmaking: Draft a Sloper for Your Body.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, patternmaking instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look well-made. All of our sewing, fitting, and patternmaking classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for our sewing classes, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning clothing construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our studio intensives are like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students who have visited us from all over the world. We invite you to spend two days working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After our patternmaking class you’ll start your week with lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures at home!
- How to manipulate a sloper using the slash and spread method.
- How to manipulate a sloper by moving (or throwing) darts.
- How to manipulate a sloper by converting darts to style lines.
- How to create style lines when no dart is present.
- How to draft ruffles.
- How to draft flounces.
- How to draft gathers.
- How to create different neckline variations.
- How to create different hem variations
- How to draft facings.
- How to draft linings.
- How to true sewing patterns.
- How to correctly use notches on sewing pattern pieces.
- How to add seam allowances to sewing pattern pieces.
- How to correctly label sewing pattern pieces.
- How to create an inventory of the pieces in your sewing pattern.
- Expert instruction from Workroom Social’s friendly teachers.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools.
Students are responsible for purchasing their own supplies. Supply lists are emailed to enrolled students about two weeks before each class date.
Skills needed to take this class include...
- Must know how to read and use sewing patterns to create clothing.
- Must know basic garment construction techniques and have experience successfully sewing clothes.
This class is designed for intermediate students and above. This class is not suitable for absolute beginners or for students who do not feel comfortable with basic clothing construction.
Please note: We provide sloper blocks for students who do not have their own. If you’d like to learn how to create a sloper to your body measurements, check out Patternmaking: Draft a Sloper for Your Body.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We'd love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Please be sure to read our Terms and Conditions before you register for class.