Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
Learn flat patternmaking by drafting a custom sloper from your own body measurements in Patternmaking: Draft a Sloper for Your Body. In this intensive, students learn how to use their measurements to create a fitted bodice block and a fitted skirt block. Each student cuts a muslin version of her pattern for a fit analysis in the class. As a group, students discuss pattern corrections for improving fit on future versions of their sloper block. This class is perfect for those who want to learn how to draft their own sewing patterns or for those who are interested in flat patternmaking.
If you’d like to learn how to use a sloper to draft sewing patterns, check out Patternmaking: Creating Style Variations from Basic Pattern Blocks.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, patternmaking instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look well-made. All of our sewing and patternmaking classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for our sewing classes, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning clothing construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our studio intensives are like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students who have visited us from all over the world. We invite you to spend two days working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After our patternmaking class you’ll start your week with lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures at home!
- How to take correct body measurements.
- The key body measurements needed for drafting a bodice sloper and skirt sloper.
- How to use flat patternmaking techniques to draft custom slopers based on your body measurements.
- Concepts in flat pattern corrections based on muslin fittings. (Note: this is not a fit class. If you are interested in learning how to fit sewing patterns to your body, we offer both a Dress Fit Class and a Pant Fit Class.)
- Expert instruction from Workroom Social’s friendly teachers.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
Skills needed to take this class include...
- Must know how to read and use sewing patterns to create clothing.
- Must know basic garment construction techniques and have experience successfully sewing clothes.
This class is designed for intermediate students and above. This class is not suitable for absolute beginners or for students who do not feel comfortable with basic clothing construction.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We'd love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Please be sure to read our Terms and Conditions before you register for class.