Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
In our Button-up Shirtmaking Sewing Intensive, learn how to sew a button-up shirt. Button-ups may seem intimidating, but anyone can make a collared shirt that looks professionally-made. Students in this sewing class gain confidence and experience in sewing collared shirts with our effective and encouraging instructors.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look well-made. All of our sewing classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for our sewing classes, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning clothing construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our Button-up Shirtmaking Sewing Intensive is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students who have visited us from all over the world. We invite you to spend two days working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you'll start your week with a brand new, handmade garment to wear and lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures at home!
- How to properly fuse fabric for fashion sewing.
- How to match stripes and plaids.
- How to sew sleeves.
- How to make continuous lap (sleeve) plackets.
- How to sew a shirt collar and collar stand.
- How to make a front button placket (button band) with buttonholes.
- How to sew shirt sleeve cuffs.
- How to make and install professional looking patch pockets.
- How to sew a clean-finished shirt yoke.
- Tips and tricks to improve your overall sewing skill set.
If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it.
Students are responsible for providing their own supplies for class. Supply lists are emailed to enrolled students about two weeks before each class date.
Skills needed to take this class include...
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight and curved seams.
- A general understanding of sewing patterns.
- This class is designed for an advanced-beginner to intermediate level sewer.
This class is designed for an advanced-beginner to intermediate level sewer.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We’d love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Please be sure to read our Terms and Conditions before you register for class.