Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
In our Bra-making Sewing Intensive, learn professional sewing techniques to sew your own underwire bra. In this class students cut, sew, fit, and alter the Harriet bra designed by Cloth Habit in sizes 28A to 42H (UK cup sizes). We help students develop skills to empower their decision-making in future bra-making projects at home.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look well-made. All of our sewing classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for our sewing classes, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning clothing construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our Bra-making Sewing Intensive is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students who have visited us from all over the world. We invite you to spend two days working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your week with lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures at home!
- How to choose the best fabrics and notions for bra-making.
- How to prep, cut, and mark bra-making and lingerie fabrics.
- How to sew sheer fabrics, stretchy knit fabrics, lace, and other specialty fabrics for bra-making.
- Specialty stitches, seams, and edge finishes for sewing lingerie.
- How to work with and apply elastics.
- How to sew hardware for bras.
- How to sew bra straps.
- The basics of bra fitting and pattern alterations to improve the fit of your bra. While we do cover the basics of fitting, this is a construction-focused—not fit-focused—class.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- Cloth Habit’s Harriet underwire bra sewing pattern.
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools.
If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it.
Due to the unique nature of this course, students are required to purchase a supply kit for this class from Workroom Social for this class. Each kit includes all the supplies needed for this class. No additional supply purchases are required of students.
Skills needed to take this class include…
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight and curved seams.
- Experience using sewing patterns to create clothing.
- Experience with or desire to learn how to sew sheer fabrics and stretchy knit fabrics.
This class is designed for a confident beginner level sewist and above.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We’d love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Please be sure to read our Terms and Conditions before you register for class.