Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
Learn how to sew your own workout wardrobe in our How to Sew Activewear Sewing Intensive. Students learn key properties of activewear, how to select and work with performance fabrics, and how to make style modifications to totally customize your gym looks.
In this class, students sew 3 garments including a sports bra, workout leggings (or bike shorts), and jogger pants (or gym shorts). After class, students should feel confident to continue their activewear sewing journey at home.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look well-made. All of our sewing, fitting, and patternmaking classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for our sewing classes, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning clothing construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our How to Sew Activewear Sewing Intensive is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students who have visited us from all over the world. We invite you to spend two days working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your week with lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures at home!
- How to choose sewing patterns, fabrics, and notions appropriate for activewear.
- How to how to cut and how to mark activewear fabrics
- How to handle and sew activewear fabrics on a sewing machine.
- How to install elastics.
- The techniques learned in this class also apply to sewing other kinds of stretch fabrics like swimwear and lingerie.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- 3 sewing patterns (sports bra, workout leggings/bike shorts, and jogger pants/gym shorts patterns).
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools.
If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it.
Due to the unique nature of this course, an optional supply kit with specialty fabrics and notions is available for students to purchase. Students who do not purchase our supply kit are responsible for providing their own supplies for class. Supply lists are emailed to enrolled students about two weeks before each class date.
Skills needed to take this class include...
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight seams. Experience sewing curved seams is helpful.
- A general understanding of sewing patterns.
This class is designed for a confident beginner level sewist and above.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We’d love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Please be sure to read our Terms and Conditions before you register for class.