How to Sew Swimwear
I think the fact that Katy took time after class was done to draft a pattern piece that will actually fit me afterwards was super amazing. Also, I loved just being in an environment that made it easy to sew with some awesome people.
Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
In our How to Sew Swimwear Sewing Intensive, learn the skills you need to sew a professionally-finished swimsuit. Sewing your own swimwear might seem scary, but it doesn't have to be! Learn how to choose and work with stretchy, stretchy fabrics like Spandex and Lycra. In this class, students sew the 8101 Halter-neck Swimsuit by indie pattern designer Maison Fleur, and students have the option of sewing a one-piece or two-piece swimsuit.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look well-made. All of our sewing, fitting, and patternmaking classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for our sewing classes, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning clothing construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our How to Sew Swimwear Weekend Sewing Intensive is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students who have visited us from all over the world. We invite you to spend two days working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your week with lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures at home!
- How to prep, cut, and mark stretch fabrics.
- Specialty stitches, seams, and edge finishes for sewing swimwear.
- How to handle stretch fabrics to ensure they keep their shape while you're sewing.
- Elastic application.
- Techniques learned in this class can also be applied to sewing other kinds of stretch fabrics like activewear or lingerie.
- Expert instruction from Workroom Social’s friendly teachers.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- Maison Fleur's 8101 Halter-neck Swimsuit sewing pattern.
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools.
If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it.
Due to the unique nature of this course, an optional supply kit with specialty fabrics and notions is available for students to purchase. Students who do not purchase our supply kit are responsible for providing their own supplies for class. Supply lists are emailed to enrolled students about two weeks before each class date.
Skills needed to take this class include...
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight seams. Experience sewing curved seams is helpful.
- A general understanding of sewing patterns.
This class is designed for a confident beginner level sewist and above.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We'd love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Please be sure to read our Terms and Conditions before you register for class.