Jacketmaking with Christine Haynes
Christine was great. She had so much information and knowledge to share.
Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
Jump-start your handmade wardrobe with us in our Intro to Garment Sewing Weekend Sewing Intensive. Learn the basics of garment construction including how to use your sewing machine to sew your own clothes, how to read and use sewing patterns, and all the steps needed to make the Lottie Dress by Christine Haynes Patterns.
The Lottie Dress is a shift dress, which makes the perfect wardrobe staple for beginner sewists. The dress easily pulls over the head without the need for closures, making it a great project to learn the basics of fashion sewing.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look well-made. All of our sewing, fitting, and patternmaking classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for our sewing classes, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning clothing construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our Intro to Garment Sewing Weekend Intensive is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students who have visited us from all over the world. We invite you to spend two days working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your week with lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures at home!
- Refresher on how to use a sewing machine with emphasis on sewing clothing.
- How to read a sewing pattern.
- How to pick your sewing pattern size.
- How to prep, cut, and mark fabric.
- How to sew darts.
- How to sew bias facings.
- How to sew patch pockets.
- How to hem a dress.
- How to finish seams and the insides of clothes.
- Tips and tricks to make sewing clothes approachable and fun.
- Expert instruction from Workroom Social’s friendly teachers.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- Christine Haynes Patterns Lottie Dress pattern.
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools.
If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it.
Students are responsible for purchasing their own supplies. Supply lists are emailed to enrolled students about two weeks before each class date.
This class is designed for new sewists who are interested in sewing their first garment.
Please be sure to read our Terms and Conditions before you register for class.