Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
Learn the fundamentals and benefits of hand sewing from custom wedding dressmaker Brooks Ann Camper. Students in our Couture Hand Sewing Skills Sewing Intensive practice and get comfortable with a wide variety of temporary and permanent hand stitching techniques. See real examples of techniques used in clothing construction, while creating a useful resource notebook full of samples to reference for all your future projects.
This course is perfect for students who want to learn couture techniques for fine sewing, who want to learn strategies to elevate their current sewing skillset to get better results out of their garment sewing at home, or who want to improve their hand sewing skills.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look well-made. All of our sewing classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for our sewing classes, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning clothing construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our Couture Hand Sewing Skills Sewing Intensive is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students who have visited us from all over the world. We invite you to spend two days working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your week with lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures at home!
- The best tools for successful hand sewing.
- Tricks for threading needles and tying successful knots.
- How to avoid or remove thread tangles when hand sewing.
- How to use a thimble for faster hand sewing.
- How to sew a wide variety of temporary and permanent hand stitches and when to use them.
- How to sew various closures including buttons, hooks, and zippers.
- Couture techniques such as…
- Underlining, including why to use it and how to sew it.
- Various hem finishing techniques including invisible hems, rolled hems, and horsehair hems.
- How to use petersham in waistbands, curved hems, and more.
- How to sew tacks and thread chains and when to use them.
- And much more including…
- The value of hand sewing and how it can be used to upgrade the quality of your handmade sewn projects.
- How to use your resource notebook at home for future projects.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools.
Due to the unique nature of this course, students are required to purchase a supply kit for this class from Workroom Social for this class. Each kit includes all the supplies needed for this class. No additional supply purchases are required of students.
Skills needed to take this class include…
- A desire to learn about and practice hand sewing techniques.
This class is designed for all skill levels.
Please be sure to read our Terms and Conditions before you register for class.