Advanced Sewing Techniques
The class reminded me of possibilities and connection, and to be fearless about creativity.
Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
Learn complex sewing techniques and concepts to take your sewing from good to great. Students in our Advanced Sewing Techniques Weekend Intensive will learn to sew a variety of challenging methods by creating technique samples. Students will see examples of each method in real clothes and discuss when and how they can use these techniques in sewing patterns. Students will create a resource notebook to take home for future reference.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look well-made. All of our sewing classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for our sewing classes, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning clothing construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our Advanced Sewing Techniques Weekend Intensive is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students who have visited us from all over the world. We invite you to spend two days working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your week with lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures at home!
- How to sew welt pockets.
- How to sew a fly front zipper.
- How to sew shirt cuffs.
- How to sew a continuous lap placket, also known as a bound placket.
- How to ease fabric.
- How to sew flat sleeves.
- How to sew set-in sleeves.
- How to sew shirt collars, both with and without collar stands.
- How to sew a popover placket.
- How to sew a tower placket.
- How to sew a button-up placket, also known as a button-down placket.
- How to sew a blind hem on a home sewing machine.
- Methods for stabilizing seams on both knit and woven fabrics.
- How to choose and use interfacings, and underlinings.
- How to create better seams by reducing bulk, including how to and when to grade seams.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools.
If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it.
Due to the unique nature of this course, students are required to purchase a supply kit for this class from Workroom Social for this class. Each kit includes all the supplies needed for this class. No additional supply purchases are required of students.
Skills needed to take this class include…
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight and curved seams.
- Experience using sewing patterns to create clothing.
- Basic knowledge of garment construction techniques.
- Experience sewing clothes.
This class is designed for a confident beginner level sewist and above.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We’d love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Please be sure to read our Terms and Conditions before your register for class.
Hear from Past Students
Lisa F. // Advanced Sewing Techniques
This was one of the most fun experiences I’ve had. We worked through so many techniques that I’d previously found intimidating, laughed a lot through it all, and enjoyed yummy treats to boot. Jennifer was such a warm and wonderful teacher and host. I really appreciated all of the little tips and tricks she peppered in to each lesson. The binder and notes will serve me well as I begin more intermediate/advanced projects, and having the hands-on experience at Workroom Social is priceless.
Past Student // Advanced Sewing Techniques
Jennifer is a very welcoming person and explains things so well. She was always there to help and encourage. I needed a lot of encouragement! ;) We learned so much in just two days. The samples we made will help so much when practicing the techniques once home. The space is warm and inviting, plus one can't forget the delicious food and cold brewed coffee.