Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
In our How to Sew Silky Fabrics Sewing Intensive, learn techniques for working with slippery and delicate fabrics, and cut and sew a professionally-finished drapey blouse. Students in this class sew the Drape 1001 blouse by Workroom Social. This pattern is designed to highlight the special qualities of drapey fabrics—with French seams, a creative neckline finish, and a clean-finished yoke. In this class we walk you through each step of the process towards hiding all those raw edges. No serger required. After completing this class, students should be able to apply the skills and techniques learned to other blouse, shirt, and garment sewing projects.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look well-made. All of our sewing, fitting, and patternmaking classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for our sewing classes, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning clothing construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our How to Sew Silky Fabrics Weekend Sewing Retreat is a great starting point for those looking to sew with drapey fabrics, and we’ve taught wonderful students who have visited us from all over the world. We invite you to spend two days working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your week with lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures at home!
- Methods for prepping, cutting and marking silky fabrics.
- Tips for sewing with delicate and slippery fabrics.
- How to read, use, and modify commercially made sewing patterns.
- How to ease fabric.
- How to install shirt cuffs.
- How to sew a continuous lap shirt placket.
- How to sew a bias facing.
- How to install sleeves flat.
- How to sew French seams.
- How to sew a two-piece shirt yoke.
- Professional finishing methods.
- Sewing methods to increase speed and accuracy.
- Tips and tricks to make sewing clothes approachable and fun.
If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it.
Due to the unique nature of this course, an optional supply kit with specialty fabrics and notions is available for students to purchase. Students who do not purchase our supply kit are responsible for providing their own supplies for class. Supply lists are emailed to enrolled students about two weeks before each class date.
Skills needed to take this class include...
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight seams. Experience sewing curved seams is helpful.
- A general understanding of sewing patterns.
This class is designed for a confident beginner level sewist and above.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We’d love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Please be sure to read our Terms and Conditions before you register for class.