Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
Being able to alter and repair your garments, both ready-to-wear and handmade, can help elevate your fashion sewing skills by teaching you about garment construction and fitting using a different perspective than that of sewing patterns. In this class we hope campers will grow to love their seam rippers and start to see garment flaws as opportunities for improvement instead. In addition to developing your sewing skills further, being able to alter and repair your garments will empower you to wear more of the clothes you already own and feel more comfortable making changes to your sewing projects in the future.
This class is perfect for someone who wants to learn how to alter and repair existing garments, someone who is nervous about taking apart existing garments, someone who is nervous about making changes to existing garments and/or sewing patterns, or someone who is interested in learning more about garment construction from a perspective that's different from using sewing patterns.
Topics covered in this class include how to...
- evaluate a garment's fit.
- assess whether a garment can successfully be altered or repaired.
- plan alterations and repairs to existing garments.
- take apart existing garments.
- execute alterations and repairs to existing garments.
- troubleshoot problems with alterations and repairs.
- use trial-and-error in a systematic way to alter existing garments.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look well-made. All of our sewing, fitting, and patternmaking classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for our sewing classes, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning clothing construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our How to Alter and Repair Garments intensive class is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students who have visited us from all over the world. We invite you to spend two days working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your week with lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures at home!
- Classroom instruction tailored to each student's unique projects and goals.
- Lunch both days.
- Use of studio equipment and tools.
If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it.
Students are responsible for purchasing and bringing their own supplies, including a minimum of six existing garments to alter and/or repair in class. Garments can be ready-to-wear or handmade. No works-in-progress. Complete garments only.
This is an intermediate to advanced level class. To be successful in this intensive class, students need the following skills...
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight and curved seams.
- Experience easing fabric together.
- An understanding of garment sewing patterns.
- Experience constructing garments.
- A general understanding of fitting concepts.
Please be sure to read our Terms and Conditions before you register for class.