SPRING 2017 CLASSMarch 4–5, 2017 (Saturday and Sunday)
FALL 2017 CLASST.B.A. (Saturday and Sunday)
Hours in Class16 hours over 2 days
96 Madison Street
$565.00(50% deposit required to enroll. Remaining balance due one week before your class date.)
Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
In our Weekend Pants-making Intensive, learn the skills you need to sew a professionally finished pair of pants. Pants can seem like an intimidating project to undertake as seamstress. In this weekend intensive, students gain confidence and experience in making pants with our effective and encouraging instructors.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create professional-looking garments at home. All of our sewing classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for this weekend intensive, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our Pants-making Intensive is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students from all over the world. We invite you to spend a weekend working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your week with a brand new, handmade garment to wear and lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures!*
You can read more about what to expect from your class at Workroom Social.
Also check out guest instructor Lauren Taylor’s recap for a detailed description of this class.
- How to read, use, and modify commercially made sewing patterns.
- Muslin fittings and basic pattern alterations. Students are able to try on pants in various sizes for a best-fit estimate before making their project.
- How to prep, cut, and mark fabric.
- Fabric fitting methods.
- Fly front installation method.
- Slash pocket installation method.
- Waistband installation method.
- Seam finishing methods.
- Sewing methods to increase speed and accuracy.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- McCall’s M6901 pants sewing pattern.
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools. If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it. Students are responsible for purchasing their own supplies. Supply lists are emailed to enrolled students about two weeks before each class date.
Skills needed to take this class include…
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight seams. Experience sewing curved seams is helfpul.
- A general understanding of sewing patterns.
- This class is designed for a beginner to intermediate level sewer.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We’d love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Don’t let a company control what you wear. Own your style and your clothes by making them yourself.
At Workroom Social, we specialize in teaching adults how to sew clothes that fit both their individual styles, and
also their unique body shapes and sizes.
Our sewing classes are designed for adults to learn in a warm and non-competitive environment. Perfection is never our goal; rather, students should expect that over time their skills will improve practice. Our team of professional designers and sewists make garment sewing approachable, and it’s our goal to provide students with the confidence and the knowledge you need to continue practicing sewing at home.
Through sewing we build communities, stimulate creativity, and help improve women’s self-esteem and confidence by empowering them to sew the clothes they want to wear.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Lauren Taylor lives in Nashville, TN, and has been sewing for most of her life. She is self-taught, and has worked professionally for various clothing designers, created and produced her own small clothing line, and also teaches sewing classes in locally. Lauren is a longtime contributor for the widely successful Mood Sewing Network, and also blogs at her own personal site, LLADYBIRD.com.
*While we cannot guarantee that each student will complete her garment, the majority of students do.
**Please be sure to read our class policies. If you have any questions about classes and learning at Workroom Social, please email hello @ workroomsocial.com.