FALL 2017 CLASSSeptember 9–10, 2017 (Saturday and Sunday)
:: registration closed ::
WINTER 2017 CLASST.B.A. (Saturday and Sunday)
Hours in Class16 hours over 2 days.
96 Madison Street
$565.00(50% deposit required to enroll. Remaining balance due one week before your class date.)
Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
In our Weekend Dressmaking Intensive, learn the skills you need to cut and sew a professionally-finished dress. No matter your shape or size, you can make a dress that fits you just right, and we want to help you sew it!
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look store-bought, not homemade. All of our sewing classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for this weekend intensive, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our Weekend Dressmaking Intensive is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students from all over the world. We invite you to spend a weekend working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your week with a brand new, handmade garment to wear and lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures!*
Read more about what to expect from your class at Workroom Social.
Also check out “More about our Weekend Dressmaking Intensive” for a detailed description of this class.
- How to read, use, and modify commercially made sewing patterns.
- Muslin fittings and pattern alterations including how to fit yourself and how to fit others.
- How to prep, cut, and mark fabric.
- Detailed instruction of dressmaking construction which can be applied to making other items of clothing.
- Invisible zipper installation method.
- Professional finishing methods.
- Bodice lining techniques.
- Sewing methods to increase speed and accuracy.
- Tips and tricks to make sewing clothes approachable and fun.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- Dress sewing pattern.
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools. If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it. Students are responsible for purchasing their own supplies. Supply lists are emailed to enrolled students about two weeks before each class date.
Skills needed to take this class include…
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight seams. Experience sewing curved seams is helfpul.
- A general understanding of sewing patterns.
- This class is designed for a beginner to intermediate level sewer.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We’d love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Don’t let a company control what you wear. Own your style and your clothes by making them yourself.
At Workroom Social, we specialize in teaching adults how to sew clothes that fit both their individual styles, and also their unique body shapes and sizes.
Our sewing classes are designed for adults to learn in a warm and non-competitive environment. Perfection is never our goal; rather, students should expect that over time their skills will improve practice. Our team of professional designers and sewists make garment sewing approachable, and it’s our goal to provide students with the confidence and the knowledge you need to continue practicing sewing at home.
Through sewing we build communities, stimulate creativity, and help improve women’s self-esteem and confidence by empowering them to sew the clothes they want to wear.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Hi! I’m Jennifer Wiese, founder of Workroom Social. I believe that every woman can lead a joyful, creative, and confident life, and I know that making your own clothes (and wearing these you-made clothes) is a surefire way to find joy, creativity, and confidence every day.
I am on a mission to empower women just like you to sew beautiful clothes that look store-bought, not homemade.
*While we cannot guarantee that each student will complete her garment, the majority of students do.
**Please be sure to read our class policies. If you have any questions about classes and learning at Workroom Social, please email hello @ workroomsocial.com.