FALL 2017 CLASSNovember 10–11, 2017 (Friday and Saturday)
WINTER 2018 CLASST.B.A. (Friday and Saturday)
Hours in Class16 hours over 2 days.
LocationWorkroom Social 893 Bergen Street Suite #11 (2nd Floor) Crown Heights, Brooklyn
$565.00(50% deposit required to enroll. Remaining balance due one week before your class date.)
Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
In our Jeans-making Sewing Intensive, learn the skills you need to sew a finished pair of jeans that look store-bought. With all that topstitching and hardware, sewing jeans can be an intimidating project, but it doesn’t have to be! In this 2-day sewing class, students will cut and sew a pair of skinny, stretch jeans.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create professional-looking garments at home. All of our sewing classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for this intensive, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our Jeans-making Sewing Intensive is like taking a sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students from all over the world. We invite you to spend two days working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your weekend with a brand new, handmade garment to wear and lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures!*
You can read more about what to expect from your class at Workroom Social.
- How to read, use, and modify a commercially made sewing pattern.
- Muslin fittings and basic pattern alterations. Students are able to try on jeans in various sizes for a best-fit estimate before making their project.
- How to prep, cut, and mark fabric.
- How to work with stretch denim.
- How to sew patch and front jeans pockets.
- How to sew a fly front on your jeans.
- How to install a jeans waistband.
- Tips for accurate topstitching.
- How to install jeans hardware including a jeans button and rivets.
- Seam finishing methods.
- Sewing methods to increase speed and accuracy.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- Closet Case Files Ginger Jeans sewing pattern.
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools. If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it. Students are responsible for purchasing their own supplies. Supply lists are emailed to enrolled students about two weeks before each class date.
Skills needed to take this class include…
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight and curved seams.
- A general understanding of sewing patterns.
- This class is designed for an intermediate level sewer.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We’d love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Don’t let a company control what you wear. Own your style and your clothes by making them yourself.
At Workroom Social, we specialize in teaching adults how to sew clothes that fit both their individual styles, and
also their unique body shapes and sizes.
Our sewing classes are designed for adults to learn in a warm and non-competitive environment. Perfection is never our goal; rather, students should expect that over time their skills will improve practice. Our team of professional designers and sewists make garment sewing approachable, and it’s our goal to provide students with the confidence and the knowledge you need to continue practicing sewing at home.
Through sewing we build communities, stimulate creativity, and help improve women’s self-esteem and confidence by empowering them to sew the clothes they want to wear.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Lauren Taylor lives in Nashville, TN, and has been sewing for most of her life. She is self-taught, and has worked professionally for various clothing designers, created and produced her own small clothing line, and also teaches sewing classes in locally. Lauren is a longtime contributor for the widely successful Mood Sewing Network, and also blogs at her own personal site, LLADYBIRD.com.
*While we cannot guarantee that each student will complete her garment, the majority of students do.
**Please be sure to read our class policies. If you have any questions about classes and learning at Workroom Social, please email hello @ workroomsocial.com.