FALL 2017 CLASSOctober 28–29, 2017 (Saturday and Sunday)
WINTER 2018 CLASST.B.A. (Saturday and Sunday)
Hours in Class16 hours over 2 days.
LocationWorkroom Social 893 Bergen Street Suite #11 (2nd Floor) Crown Heights, Brooklyn
$565.00(50% deposit required to enroll. Remaining balance due one week before your class date.)
Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
Start your adventures sewing outerwear by making a fully lined overcoat that will help you transition from fall to winter. Learn about ways to make your jacket warmer for colder months. Students in our Jacketmaking Sewing Intensive will make Christine Haynes’s Ellsworth coat pattern in this course. Learn all the steps necessary to construct a jacket that looks professionally made.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look store-bought, not homemade. All of our sewing classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for this two day intensive, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our Jacketmaking Sewing Intensive is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students from all over the world. We invite you to spend two days working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your weekend with a brand new, handmade garment to wear and lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures!*
Read more about what to expect from your class at Workroom Social.
- How to prep, cut, and mark fabric.
- How to install a jacket lining.
- How to install a jacket collar.
- How to make buttonholes.
- How to topstitch accurately.
- How to sew set-in sleeves.
- Different ways to ease fabric.
- How to use interfacing correctly to shape a jacket.
- How to use materials to insulate your jacket to make it warmer.
- General tips and tricks for making outerwear that can be applied to other projects.
- Sewing methods to increase speed and accuracy.
- Tips and tricks to make sewing clothes approachable and fun.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- Christine Haynes Patterns Ellsworth coat pattern.
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools. If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it. Students are responsible for purchasing their own supplies. Supply lists are emailed to enrolled students about two weeks before each class date.
Skills needed to take this class include…
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight seams. Experience sewing curved seams.
- Experience sewing other clothes and a general understanding of sewing patterns.
- This class is designed for sewists with some experience sewing clothes who are interested in exploring sewing outerwear. This class is not suitable for absolute beginners.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We’d love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Don’t let a company control what you wear. Own your style and your clothes by making them yourself.
At Workroom Social, we specialize in teaching adults how to sew clothes that fit both their individual styles, and also their unique body shapes and sizes.
Our sewing classes are designed for adults to learn in a warm and non-competitive environment. Perfection is never our goal; rather, students should expect that over time their skills will improve practice. Our team of professional designers and sewists make garment sewing approachable, and it’s our goal to provide students with the confidence and the knowledge you need to continue practicing sewing at home.
Through sewing we build communities, stimulate creativity, and help improve women’s self-esteem and confidence by empowering them to sew the clothes they want to wear.
*While we cannot guarantee that each student will complete her garment, the majority of students do.
**Please be sure to read our class policies. If you have any questions about classes and learning at Workroom Social, please email hello @ workroomsocial.com.