SPRING 2017 CLASSJune 24–25, 2017 (Saturday and Sunday)
:: registration closed ::
FALL 2017 CLASST.B.A. (Saturday and Sunday)
Hours in Class16 hours over 2 days.
96 Madison Street
$565.00(50% deposit required to enroll. Remaining balance due one week before your class date.)
Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
Learn how to sew knit fabrics to make T-shirts, leggings, and other knit garments. In our How to Sew Knits Weekend Sewing Intensive, students learn how to work with stretch knit fabrics including how to cut, how to sew, and how to finish knits. Students will also learn a few fitting strategies for stretch garments.
In this class, students make 3 garments including a pair of leggings, a T-shirt (long or short sleeve), and a tank dress. After class, students should feel confident to sew more knit garments at home.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create professional-looking garments at home. All of our sewing classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for this weekend intensive, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our How to Sew Knits Weekend Sewing Intensive is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students from all over the world. We invite you to spend a weekend working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your week with a brand new, handmade garment to wear and lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures!*
Read more about what to expect from your class at Workroom Social.
- How to prep, how to cut, and how to mark knit fabrics.
- How to handle and ease knit fabrics.
- Specialty stitches, seams, and edge finishes for sewing with knits.
- How to sew elastic.
- The basic techniques learned in this class can also be applied to sewing other kinds of stretch fabrics like activewear, swimwear, and lingerie.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- 3 sewing patterns (leggings pattern, T-shirt pattern, and tank dress pattern).
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools. If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it. Students are responsible for purchasing their own supplies. Supply lists are emailed to enrolled students about two weeks before each class date.
Skills needed to take this class include…
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight seams. Experience sewing curved seams is helfpul.
- A general understanding of sewing patterns.
- This class is designed for a beginner to advanced-beginner level sewer.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We’d love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Don’t let a company control what you wear. Own your style and your clothes by making them yourself.
At Workroom Social, we specialize in teaching adults how to sew clothes that fit both their individual styles, and also their unique body shapes and sizes.
Our sewing classes are designed for adults to learn in a warm and non-competitive environment. Perfection is never our goal; rather, students should expect that over time their skills will improve practice. Our team of professional designers and sewists make garment sewing approachable, and it’s our goal to provide students with the confidence and the knowledge you need to continue practicing sewing at home.
Through sewing we build communities, stimulate creativity, and help improve women’s self-esteem and confidence by empowering them to sew the clothes they want to wear.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Fleur Hoare is a patternmaker and teacher based in Brooklyn, New York City, where she works with designers to produce their lines. She studied at Central Saint Martins, London and at the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC.
Fleur is a self-taught sewer who is obsessed with anything stretchy and she has many years of experience working with stretch fabrics, she especially enjoys making underwear and activewear. You can read more about Fleur on her website.
*While we cannot guarantee that each student will complete her garment, the majority of students do.
**Please be sure to read our class policies. If you have any questions about classes and learning at Workroom Social, please email hello @ workroomsocial.com.