SPRING 2017 CLASSFebruary 11–12, 2017 (Saturday and Sunday)
:: sold out ::
FALL 2017 CLASST.B.A. (Saturday and Sunday)
Hours in Class16 hours over 2 days.
LocationWorkroom Social 893 Bergen Street Suite #11 (2nd Floor) Crown Heights, Brooklyn
$565.00(50% deposit required to enroll. Remaining balance due one week before your class date.)
Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
In our Button-up Shirtmaking Weekend Sewing Intensive, learn how to sew a button-up shirt. Button-ups may seem intimidating, but anyone can make a collared shirt that looks store-bought! In this weekend sewing class, you will gain confidence and experience in sewing collared shirts with our effective and encouraging instructors.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create professional-looking garments at home. All of our sewing classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for this weekend intensive, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our Button-up Shirtmaking Weekend Sewing Intensive is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students from all over the world. We invite you to spend a weekend working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your week with a brand new, handmade garment to wear and lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures!*
Read more about what to expect from your class at Workroom Social.
- How to properly fuse fabric for fashion sewing.
- A quick and dirty method for plaid matching.
- How to install sleeves.
- How to make continuous plackets.
- How to install a shirt collar and collar stand.
- How to make a front button placket (button band) with buttonholes.
- How to install shirt cuffs.
- How to make and install professional looking patch pockets.
- How to sew a shirt yoke.
- Tips and tricks to improve your overall sewing skill set.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- Grainline Studio’s Archer button-up shirt sewing pattern (men’s sewing pattern available upon request).
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools. If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it. Students are responsible for purchasing their own supplies. Supply lists are emailed to enrolled students about two weeks before each class date.
Skills needed to take this class include…
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight and curved seams.
- A general understanding of sewing patterns.
- This class is designed for an advanced-beginner to intermediate level sewer.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We’d love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Don’t let a company control what you wear. Own your style and your clothes by making them yourself.
At Workroom Social, we specialize in teaching adults how to sew clothes that fit both their individual styles, and also their unique body shapes and sizes.
Our sewing classes are designed for adults to learn in a warm and non-competitive environment. Perfection is never our goal; rather, students should expect that over time their skills will improve practice. Our team of professional designers and sewists make garment sewing approachable, and it’s our goal to provide students with the confidence and the knowledge you need to continue practicing sewing at home.
Through sewing we build communities, stimulate creativity, and help improve women’s self-esteem and confidence by empowering them to sew the clothes they want to wear.
*While we cannot guarantee that each student will complete her garment, the majority of students do.
**Please be sure to read our class policies. If you have any questions about classes and learning at Workroom Social, please email hello @ workroomsocial.com.