SUMMER 2017 CLASSAugust 4–5, 2017 (Friday and Saturday)
FALL 2017 CLASST.B.A. (Saturday and Sunday)
893 Bergen Street Suite #11 (2nd Floor)
Crown Heights, Brooklyn
Hours in Class16 hours over 2 days
$565.00(50% deposit required to enroll. Remaining balance due one week before your class date.)
**Due to the unique nature of this course, students are required to purchase a supply kit for this class from Workroom Social prior to class at a special student rate. This kit includes all of the exact supplies you’ll need for the class, as well as prepared samples in a variety of fabrics.
Anyone can sew their own clothes! It just takes a little imagination, some instruction, and practice.
Learn complex sewing techniques and concepts to take your sewing from good to great with Kristiann Boos. Students in our Advanced Sewing Techniques Intensive will learn to sew a variety of challenging methods by creating technique samples. Students will see examples of each method in real clothes and discuss when and how they can use these techniques in sewing patterns. Students will create a resource notebook to take home for future reference.
As part of our Learn to Sew classes, sewing instruction is taught with an emphasis on key industry skills and techniques to create garments that look store-bought, not homemade. All of our sewing classes are both fun and productive, instead of just one or the other. We encourage anyone who is interested in sewing clothes to join us for this 2-day intensive, whether you are strictly a hobbyist or interested in learning construction skills to bring your original fashion designs to life.
Our Advanced Sewing Techniques Intensive is like taking a 2-day sewing vacation, and we’ve taught wonderful students from all over the world. We invite you to spend part of your week working with us in our inspiring and friendly studio. After this class you’ll start your weekend with lots of excitement to continue your sewing adventures!*
Read more about what to expect from your class at Workroom Social.
- How to install single welt pockets.
- How to install a fly front zipper.
- How to install curved waistbands.
- How to install cuffs.
- How to sew a shirt sleeve placket.
- How to ease fabric.
- How to sew flat sleeves.
- How to sew set-in sleeves.
- How to install collars, both with and without stands.
- How to sew shirt neckline placket.
- How to sew a button down placket.
- How to sew a blind hem on a home sewing machine.
- Methods for stabilizing seams on both knit and woven fabrics.
- How to choose and use interfacings, interlinings, and underlinings.
- How to create better seams by reducing bulk. How to and when to grade seams.
- Lunch and treats both days.
- Handouts and other supporting materials.
- Use of studio equipment and tools. If you prefer to work on your own sewing machine, you are welcome to bring it. Students are responsible for purchasing their own supplies. Supply lists are emailed to enrolled students about two weeks before each class date.
Skills needed to take this class include…
- Experience setting up, operating, and troubleshooting sewing machines.
- Experience sewing straight and curved seams.
- Must know how to read and use sewing patterns to create clothing.
- Must know basic garment construction techniques and have experience sewing clothes.
- This class is designed for an intermediate level sewer.
Are you an absolute beginner who is interested in taking this class? We’d love to have you! Please email us at hello @ workroomsocial.com for more information on how you can take this class.
Don’t let a company control what you wear. Own your style and your clothes by making them yourself.
At Workroom Social, we specialize in teaching adults how to sew clothes that fit both their individual styles, and also their unique body shapes and sizes.
Our sewing classes are designed for adults to learn in a warm and non-competitive environment. Perfection is never our goal; rather, students should expect that over time their skills will improve practice. Our team of professional designers and sewists make garment sewing approachable, and it’s our goal to provide students with the confidence and the knowledge you need to continue practicing sewing at home.
Through sewing we build communities, stimulate creativity, and help improve women’s self-esteem and confidence by empowering them to sew the clothes they want to wear.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Kristiann Boos is a Toronto based sewing instructor, author and designer/pattern maker for her label Victory Patterns. After earning her degree in fashion design from Ryerson University, she taught sewing to passionate makers for several years. She saw that her students were craving exciting, stylish projects to sew. Kristiann felt she could offer something different to the world of patterns and she loved the idea of creating great tools to allow women to make beautiful clothes for themselves. So she began to develop patterns for the maker community.
Kristiann published her first book, Boundless Style (2015 Fons & Porter), which is a modular pattern book that allows the reader to design an almost endless array of dresses and be guided through how to sew them. Kristiann is passionate about making and loves to enable women to create and make clothing that they feel beautiful in. You can follow Kristiann’s work and journey on her Instagram.
*While we cannot guarantee that each student will complete her garment, the majority of students do.
**Please be sure to read our class policies. If you have any questions about classes and learning at Workroom Social, please email hello @ workroomsocial.com.