My 2013 Holiday Dress
Happy December everyone! I just looked back at the last time I posted, and it’s been too long. I have to remind myself that as a sewing blogger it’s totally acceptable to go M.I.A. sometimes while we’re sewing up a storm.
For a sewing blogger, not posting consistently or not posting for weeks is okay. A silence from the web usually means that you are in front your sewing machine, making your next masterpiece.
Now, let’s talk about my 2013 Holiday Dress!
This is a self-drafted pattern that I cut four times. I draped the first dress on one of my studio forms that is about 2-3 sizes smaller than me.
After sewing the first muslin and deciding to move forward with the pattern, I graded the whole dress up, and it ended up being about 6″ too big all around. Not sure how that happened!
After a third muslin, I made a couple more alterations then cut and sewed the fourth and final dress pictured here.
I’m not too thrilled with the final dress. The fit is still off, and in my opinion, the style lines on the skirt are pretty unflattering (but I do like the lines on the bodice!). It’s a shame because I thought it looked so good in the sketch! Instead of using the Fashionary croquis, I really need to draw one in my own proportions to avoid problems like this in the future.
The dress is made out of a polyester something-or-other that I had in my stash. I have no idea where I got it from. One of my 2014 projects is to catalog all my fabrics.
Nothing too exciting to report on the finishing. I should have lined the whole bodice, but since I cut and sewed this dress the same day I wanted to wear it, I went for a facing instead. Poor decision on my part because it wouldn’t have taken much longer to do a lining, and you can definitely see the facing through the bodice. Silly me!
Though the fit isn’t quite what I wanted it to be, I did wear my Holiday Dress out to happy hour with some of my favorite NYC sewers and bloggers!